The Government of the Gambia showing its firm commitment to phase- out consumption of Ozone Depleting Substances (ODSs) ratified the Vienna Convention for the protection of Ozone Layer in May 1990 and Montreal Protocol on Substances that deplete the Ozone Layer in June 1990. The Gambia has also ratified the London Amendments to the Montreal Protocol in 1995. The Gambia is a developing country and therefore stands to benefit from the assistances provided under the multilateral Funds of the Protocols ( Africa 10).
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO PROTECT THE OZONE LAYER
- Making sure that your car and home or building air conditioning equipment is properly maintained to reduce leakage.
- Making sure that your air-conditioning equipment are serviced by a recycler to recover and recycle CFCs for re-use.
- Changing to Ozone friendly products especially household products, e.g. refrigerators, air conditioners and freezers.
- Switching to ozone friendly technology as long term solution by using substitutes of methyl chloroform, carbon tetra-chloride and methyl bromide where possible.
- Retrofit your equipment or replace with Ozone friendly equipment.