The Environment Information System (EIS) Programme serves as a collection point for environment and its related information. Through the programme, institutional partners are brought together to provide relevant and reliable information to support decision making process with the application of Geographical Information System (GIS). GIS is a computer-based system designed to support the management, analysis data, promotes the logical organization of resources and environmental information, and decentralizes the management of environmental data sets while at the same time ensuring their compatibility. It also provides a stimulus for dialogue and discussion among participatory agencies regarding common quality standards and specification in the development of a national environmental information system. The EIS programme through the use of GIS, collects, organizes and provides data integration methodologies and easy access through the digitization, aerial photo interpretation and the production of composite thematic maps. The EIS programme also promotes the wider use of the Geographic Information System (GIS) including map Data for decision makers and planners.
The programme coordinate these activities under the auspices of the Environment Information System Technical Working Group (EIS-TWG). The group facilitates management of environmental information and is the advisory body to the Agency. It also eases information sharing, development of expertise and provision of adequate resources to provide guidance on key technical issues. A bi-annual newsletter, earth News, Produced by NEA with contributions from participating agencies, highlights key up-to date environmental advancements, issues, and events.
The programme is mandated to provide environment information for sound decision making and training of officers on GIS and its related applications. It runs a laboratory for the analysis of environmental and related information, creation of databases and production of maps to support decision making processes. The documentation centre under the programme provides an inventory of environmental reports and publications.
· Develop policy and action plan on environmental information.
· Update the Land use cover map of the Gambia.
· Training Staff on drone mapping, GIS and remote sensing for disaster management, GIS for water management, advanced data collection, and the on geo-database management systems.
· Sensitization and awareness creation on climate change through GIS products
· Preparation and Publication of the State of the Environment Report (SoER) and Environment Outlook report.
· Outreach on Application of GIS and Remote Sensing in decision making.
· Map development for stakeholders.
· Mapping of areas of environmental interest/concern and creation of database.
· Conduct quarterly EIS Working Group meeting and Networking
· Establishment of web based Environmental Management System.
Preparation of Environmental Statistics Compendium